Monday, January 04, 2010

Bright Ideas

I was sorting through my folders of images -- or folder I should say... nothing like downloading all your images into one folder -- trying to figure out what to put on my new Sony digital picture frame. The picture to the left didn't make the cut, but I've been meaning to work it into some blog post somewhere. So here it is.

"The use of Electricity for lighting is in no way harmful to health, nor does it affect the soundness of sleep."

They worried about stuff like that back then, but apparently fires were a much bigger concern. A mere three years after Edison demonstrated the practicality of the light bulb, another inventor, Edward Hibberd Johnson, was ready to string them on Christmas trees. Unfortunately, it would be many more years until somebody invented the pre-lit artificial Christmas tree.

No comments: