Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nevermore

A strange epiphany hit me over lunch with friends on Friday. Whenever a potential love interest has sent me a poem (and there has only been a few, believe me), I end up creeped out and anything but romanced. My lunch guest said to me, "Poe. You've read too much Poe."

Possibly. Or maybe I'll blame it on not too much but too early an exposure to the macabre poet. I really only remember two poets we studied in ninth grade English class. One was Robert Frost, and the other was Edgar Allan Poe. And I had to memorize something by one of them, but now I don't remember what. A lot of good that did me -- just a lingering dark notion of poetry. Thanks ninth grade English teacher.

Coincidentally, Edgar Allan Poe was born on this day in 1809. I see he still gets a little press and provides a little mystery at his resting place.

Since we are experiencing some awesome thunderstorms today, here is The Raven:


(YouTube video)

No comments: