Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pterosaur Hunting

Happy birthday Charles Darwin! Look how far we've come!
The goal of Project Pterosaur is to mount an expedition to locate and bring back to the United States living specimens of pterosaurs or their fertile eggs, which will be displayed in a Pterosaur Rookery that will be the center piece of the planned Fellowship Creation Science Museum and Research Institute (FCSMRI). Furthermore, the rookery facility will establish a breeding colony of pterosaurs in order to produce specimens that could then be put on display by other regional institutions or church groups.

he goal of Project Pterosaur is to mount an expedition to locate and bring back to the United States living specimens of pterosaurs or their fertile eggs, which will be displayed in a Pterosaur Rookery that will be the center piece of the planned Fellowship Creation Science Museum and Research Institute (FCSMRI). Furthermore, the rookery facility will establish a breeding colony of pterosaurs in order to produce specimens that could then be put on display by other regional institutions or church groups.

By doing all this, we hope to accomplish three goals:
  1. Support Creation Theory by showing the incorrectness of the philosophy of Evolutionism.
  2. Educate the population about Creation Science.
  3. Create excitement about Creation and the Bible in the public.
I (Dr. Paley) am the founder and Chief Officer of the project. I will also be leading the expedition and acting as Science Liaison to the public. Funding is being provided by Fellowship University, the Fairlight Institute, and donations from wealthy Christian businessmen who wish to remain anonymous at this time.
Yeah it's all an elaborate hoax, but one of the best I've ever seen. I looked all over Wikipedia trying to find the project, research institute or Dr. Paley. I found nothing. Then I checked Snopes and found nothing. Finally I found a discussion forum with some information.

I know the hoax should seem so obvious. Follow some of the deeper links on their site and you come up with their Mall Mission and Spiritual Safety Tips for Kids -- "what should you do if you find an atheist?" The whole thing is hilarious.


Maybe the dead giveaway should have been that creationists never try to prove anything. Also absurd is the whole purported notion that finding a pterosaur would destroy evolutionary theory. Oh, finding one would indeed be interesting, but it wouldn't be the first time an odd creature was rediscovered.

I've heard so much genuine creationism BS over the past few years, I can't separate the spoofs. I find The Creationism Museum to be crazy, but it is also real. The recent case in California that decided creationism science classes cannot count towards college credit was a triumph in science and sense!

Funny how our former president who lacked any science sense was quick to sign into law the bill that established our national DNA databank. He could embrace science when it fit his agenda. Anyway, bet you didn't know we had a national DNA databank! Every newborn will be "screened" and the DNA can be used for research without any consent.

I'm having flashbacks of all the Hollywood movies that tried to warn us: Gattaca, The Island, Anna to the Infinite Power...

I better go to bed before I scare myself to death, but I also want to mention it was Abraham Lincoln's birthday today too. It's amazing that two men who changed the world share the same birth day and year. I'm not so lucky. I share my birthday with OJ Simpson.

No comments: