Friday, March 19, 2010

Criminal Mastermind Fail

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." - Benjamin Franklin.
And one could keep a secret, if he's not a cocky idiot. Virginia recently executed a killer who sent a prosecutor a taunting, profanity-filled letter admitting to a brutal rape and murder after he assumed that he could not be tried again for the crime after a reversal. In his letter, the killer explained explicit details that the investigators didn't know:
"Since I have already been indicted on first degree murder and the Va. Supreme Court said that I can't be charged with capital murder again, I figured I would tell you the rest of what happened on Jan. 29, 1999, to show you how stupid all of y'all ... are," wrote Powell, who is white.
...
"I guess I forgot to mention these events when I was being questioned. Ha Ha!" he wrote in 2001. "Do you just hate yourself for being so stupid ... and saving me?"
Note to would-be murderers: please take a moment to understand double jeopardy in your country.

No comments: