Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Evolution and Politics

"I think you believe in evolution, but you're afraid to say so because your conservative constituency might find that offensive." — Chris Matthews on MSNBC 5/05/2009




How long can the GOP last when they pander to the least educated voters? How long can Rep. Mike Pence last when he speaks pure gibberish?

Yes, President Obama ended the ban on federal funding of stem cell research last month. Why is it that whatever pisses off the GOP seems to thrill me? Believe me, I'm thrilled... and oh... what is this? It's a strange feeling... I think it's called hope. Here are some areas of research that I hope one day will help me and many people I know with disabilities:

American researchers have created a "switch" that allows mutations or light signals to be turned on in muscles stem cells to monitor muscle regeneration in a living mammal. This research could lead to a drug that allows people to grow new muscle cells to replace those that are damaged by cancer or muscular dystrophy.

Researchers in London have discovered a novel matrix of neural stem cells and a biodegradable polymer can quickly repair brain damage from stroke in rats.

The National Institute of Health says wisdom teeth are prolific sources of the kind of adult stem cells needed to grow new teeth for you.

Well, if scientists can't grow me a whole new body, they could at least get me some new teeth!

Senator Arlen Specter is just as enthused as I am. In a recent interview with CBS News he suggested that if Republicans had been more aggressive about cancer research, GOP luminary Jack Kemp would be alive today.
Specter: And one of the items that I'm working on, Bob, is funding for medical research. I've been the spear carrier to increase medical research. And I've even established a Web site, Specterforthecure.com, to try to get people to put more pressure on Congress to join me in getting more funding. This medical research has been a reawakening--the ten billion dollars. We were about to lose a whole generation of scientists. And now they're enthused. There are fifteen thousand applications to be granted. If we had pursued what President Nixon declared in 1970 as the war on cancer, we would have cured many strains. I think Jack Kemp would be alive today. And that research has saved or prolonged many lives, including mine.
Here's hoping we can fund and encourage more medical research. My mother just restarted treatment for lymphoma today, and I need all the hope I can get.

2 comments:

fabutastic said...

This man is a living action figure!

Kristen said...

He definitely has that perfect pre-fab hair look going on.