Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Smart President

I'm ready for a smart President again.

Tonight as I watched The Daily Show, I saw the glaring contrast between George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. I'm not even certain if the comedy show intended the comparison, but here's how it went. They opened with a clip of Bush giving an inarticulate explanation of the financial crisis. Bush seemed almost surprised himself that parts of the economy are connected! Then he fumbled through a childish metaphor about a house of cards.

Then Jon Stewart interviewed Bill Clinton, and intellectually there is no competition between our 42nd and 43rd presidents (if videos don't show, they can be found here and here):







I wish Stewart asked Clinton about his opinion on the situation with Russia, and while they were on the subject of the economy, he probably should have asked Clinton why he signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act in 1999... too bad it's only a 30 minute comedy show. But hearing Clinton made me reminisce about happier days with a president who had something intelligent to say.

No comments: