Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Republican Convention Coverage

I'm watching the Republican convention right now. So far, I'm happy to report that nobody has broken a hip.

Fred Thompson is talking a lot about McCain's personal story as a POW. It's difficult for me to listen to the stories of McCain's torture probably because I empathize too much. Without going into my own medical history, I'll tell you I've had many broken bones, and the idea of somebody having bones set without anesthesia, or being beaten while your arms are fractured and unusable is absolutely horrific. If you don't know the pain, I don't think you can imagine it.

Doesn't convince me that he's fit to be President though. But it sure is amusing to hear Republicans embrace the war hero story when eight years ago they vehemently rejected it.

Laura Bush's speech introducing George W. Bush was short, and full of myths. She says George Bush has kept us safe and then she gets a round of applause. My head spins.

Do I need to remind her that two big terrorist attacks happened under her husband's watch? Sept 11, 2001 followed by the anthrax attacks. Although Bush vowed to go after the perpetrators, we then invaded a non-terrorist nation and turned them into a terrorist nation. We never caught the criminal responsible for 9/11. In fact, the CIA closed the unit responsible for capturing Osama Bin Laden. Meanwhile, the war in Iraq has made us less safe.

"So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him... to be honest with you." -- George W. Bush, March 13, 2002.
And somehow Republicans spin these disasters as success and people cheer for it.

The other big myths we'll hear is that the surge is working, Palin is qualified, and somehow Republicans put country first (and Democrats do not?).

After this convention is over, I'm going to refrain from covering election politics too much. There are way too many other important things happening in the world.

No comments: