Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cringeworthy

So last night after watching some of the convention analysis I switch over to The Tonight Show -- I'm so glad it's back after a two week hiatus because of the Olympics -- and I see that McCain is on. And damn it, I watch the interview for one minute and I can't believe what I'm hearing. Here is the cringeworthy clip (if the video doesn't show, click here):



When McCain is confronted with any awkward question, anything he can't deal with honestly, he pulls the "POW card." I know it's a comedy show, but is McCain's POW status really a punchline? He's turning it into one.

And it looks like McCain is leading in the polls despite surveys that say 76% of Americans think the country is on the wrong track. It's the unlikeliest political comeback in history.

I think part of this comeback is because voters believe McCain has more foreign policy experience... but a big part of his experience is being wrong. Do you think the surge he supported is working? The Seattle Times explains why our current strategy in Iraq is in danger of collapsing.

And did McCain promise the President of Georgia that the U.S. would intervene if they went to war with Russia? The answer isn't clear, but one of his foreign policy advisers is a paid lobbyist for the Georgian government!

And let's not forget that John McCain wants to bomb Iran.

If McCain can continue to frighten the American public about threats from Russia and Iran, then he will win on a "war president" platform. That's more than just cringeworthy.

No comments: