Sunday, April 06, 2008

Blogged to Death

I've been taking it easy the last few days just so I don't blog myself to death. Yeah, right. the New York Times is reporting that bloggers work long hours, and a couple of them have died early deaths. I wonder how that compares to other professions? I can't seem to find that information though I found this cool life expectancy map.

Anyway, I certainly don't work long hours, I don't feel stressed, and I still think blogging is pretty cool. The coolest thing about blogging is... well it's certainly not the money because I'm not making any yet... the coolest thing is that I get to say what I want to say without needing anybody's permission. It's not like the old days when if you wrote a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, it would probably never get published. I think Clay Shirky said it well last week on The Colbert Report:



It's easy to forget that there is a generation gap between those who grew up with the internet and those who did not.

Another article in the New York Times is a grim reminder that Iranian bloggers face political persecution: "In 2004, according to Human Rights Watch, 21 bloggers or people who worked at Internet news sites critical of the government were arrested, and some of them were tortured. Periodic arrests since then have ended with jail terms."

Blogging to death is no joke.

No comments: